Each individual language user has to develop a number of communicative language competences, ranging from the most general to the most particular.
Generally speaking, productive skills are the ones that take longest to master and, quite frequently, both learners and teachers ask for some guidance as to what sort of spoken production to be expected in each of the levels of the CEFRL (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). With that in mind, the CIEP (a national public institution in France reputed for their expert evaluation as well as training assessment) prepared a DVD illustrating the spoken performances of the six levels of the CEFRL which are now available online.
Users of Mozilla, Chrome, Opera and Safari can sometimes experience some difficulty when trying to view those videos in the CIEP website, though they usually work correctly in Internet Explorer. In an attemtp to lend a helping hand to those who cannot make the videos run in their browser, I have prepared a tutorial (see here) showing how to view them on your own Windows Media Player (so no matter which browser you use or which plug-ins you have installed, your WMPlayer will most likely be updated to play its most 'native' format ".wmv").
Here are the URLs you can use to display the videos in your Windows Media Player.
- Tifaine (Likes and dislikes): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_tifaine.wmv (Go)
- Clara (Likes and dislikes): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_clara.wmv (Go)
- Tifaine & Clara (Family): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_tifaine_clara.wmv (Go)
- Zofia (Likes and dislikes): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_zofia.wmv (Go)
- Camille(Likes and dislikes): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_camille.wmv (Go)
- Zofia and Camille (Organising holidays): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_zofia_camille.wmv (Go)
- Audrey (A TV programme): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_audrey.wmv (Go)
- Mathilde (A film): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_mathilde.wmv (Go)
- Audrey y Mathilde (Organising a party): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_audrey_mathilde.wmv (Go)
- Annabelle (Communication development): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_annabelle.wmv (Go)
- Xavier (Role of teachers and parents): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_xavier.wmv (Go)
- Annabelle & Xavier (Advertising): mms://www.ciep.fr/videociep/dvd_interlangues_08/en/en_annabelle_xavier.wmv (Go)
You can download the comments about these videos here.
If your predetermined browser is not IE, chances are that when you open the links above, a pop-up message will appear warning you your browser cannot show ".wmv" videos.
If that is the case, here are a few solutions so you can still watch the videos:
- Open the links in IE.
- Watch them in your own Windows Media Player following these instructions.
- Install Chrome's MeFeedia App and look for the CIEP's new channel, which, so far, features videos illustrating the CEFR levels in both English and Spanish.
- Watch them in dailymotion.